Some facts about Filmfare Awards
- The Filmfare ceremony is one of the oldest and most prestigious film events in India.
- The Filmfare Awards, presented by The Times Group, are a set of awards that honour artistic and technical excellence in the Hindi-language film industry of India.
- The awards were first introduced in 1954, the same year as the National Film Awards. They were initially referred to as the “Clare Awards” or “The Clares” after Clare Mendonca, the editor of The Times of India.
- A dual voting system was developed in 1956. Under this system, in contrast to the National Film Awards, which are decided by a panel appointed by Indian Government, the Filmfare Awards are voted on by both the public and a committee of experts.
- In the first awards function, held on 21 March 1954 at the Metro Theatre of Mumbai, only five awards were presented: Best Film, Best Director, Best Actor, Best Actress, and Best Music Director. Do Bigha Zameen was the first movie to win the award for Best Film. The first winners for other four categories were: Bimal Roy for his direction of Do Bigha Zameen, Dilip Kumar for his performance in Daag, Meena Kumari for her performance in Baiju Bawra, and Naushad Ali for his music in Baiju Bawra.
- Filmfare Awards also introduced the Short FilmCategory in 2017, with Vidya Balan and Gauri Shinde on the jury. The People’s Choice Award For Best Short Film was presented to Khamakha. Short films like Chutney, Matitali Kusti and Taandav won awards as well. The statuette, depicting a woman whose arms are upraised in a dance number with her fingers touching, is commonly referred to as “The Black Lady” (or “The Lady in Black”). Originally designed by N.G. Pansare under the supervision of Times of India’s art director Walter Langhammer, it is generally made of bronze.
The list of Fimfare 2018 Award Winners
BEST FILM – HINDI MEDIUM
CRITICS BEST FILM – NEWTON
BEST ACTOR IN A LEADING ROLE (MALE) – IRRFAN KHAN; Movie – HINDI MEDIUM
CRITICS BEST ACTOR IN A LEADING ROLE (MALE) – RAJKUMAR RAO- Movie – TRAPPED
BEST ACTOR IN A LEADING ROLE (FEMALE) – VIDYA BALAN- Movie – TUMHARI SULU
CRITICS BEST ACTRESS – ZAIRA WASIM-Movie – SECRET SUPERSTAR
BEST DIRECTOR – ASHWINI IYER TIWARI-Movie – BAREILLY KI BARFI
BEST ACTOR IN A SUPPORTING ROLE (MALE) – RAJKUMMAR RAO-Movie – BAREILLY KI BARFI
BEST ACTOR IN A SUPPORTING ROLE (FEMALE) – MEHER VIJ-Movie – SECRET UPERSTAR
BEST MUSIC ALBUM – PRITAM-Movie – JAGGA JASOOS
BEST LYRICS – AMITABH BHATTACHARYA-Movie – JAGGA JASOOS-Song – GALTI SE MISTAKE
BEST PLAYBACK SINGER (MALE) – ARIJIT SINGH-Movie – BADRINATH KI DULHANIA-Song – ROKE NA RUKE NAINA
BEST PLAYBACK SINGER (FEMALE) – MEGHNA MISHRA-Movie – SECRET SUPERSTAR- Song – NACHDI PHIRA
PEOPLE’S CHOICE AWARD FOR BEST SHORT FILM – ANAHUT
BEST SHORT FILM IN FICTION – JUICE
BEST SHORT FILM IN NON FICTION – INVISIBLE WINGS